Sunday, February 15, 2015

Day #1: How to Begin

The best way to start a blog is to just jump in feet first and see what happens. I have been blogging for about five years now and have always found that you can only do so much pre-planning for posts before they start to lose any originality and heart.

Since Curves In The Road is all about "being real" and writing with "true feeling," I'm going to do as little planning as possible when it comes to my daily posts and just write what comes to my head. How I'm feeling, what I'm thinking, and see where the road takes me.

Yesterday was St. Valentine's Day: the "most romantic day of the year." I have never been a steady observer of Valentine's Day. Some might suppose this is because I'm single, but I've always maintained that St. Valentine's Day isn't just for "couples." Why can't it celebrate not just romantic love, but the love we hold for our parents, our children, our friends, our siblings? Sure, we all secretly wish to share this special day with a significant other. But we can still get in on the action without that - it's just going to be a bit different. Meanwhile, we'll wait for the Valentine's Day that we can spend with a significant other; because that time is coming!

Every year, my mum has always bought me and my siblings these Sweethearts heart candies that have cheesy little "love quotes" on them. You've probably seen them - they are everywhere, and bizarrely popular, even though I personally think the candies taste like chalk and I only eat them because my mum gave them to me. I had sort of already celebrated Valentine's Day Tuesday, so the day itself was pretty quiet. I baked heart-shaped sugar cookies with VERY pink icing (it turned out a lot pinker than I had initially intended. . . .) for all of my swing dance friends, and my friend Catherine made these amazing chocolate truffles that are to die for.

So even though some people gave me a sad look when they heard I had no one to spend Valentine's Day with, I would say that I had a very good day. Valentine's Day shared with friends is just as meaningful. Besides, my family had a movie night and we watched Misery. Now isn't that just the perfect romantic movie? ;-)

This week, I've mostly been thoughtful. Friday was my practical driving test, which I didn't pass. I would have - the instructor said I did everything beautifully. But when I was pulling out of the world's most perfect parallel park, I didn't give my front end enough room and got a tad friendly with the bumper of the truck in front of me. There was no damage, no scratches, nothing - thank goodness - but it inevitably had to be marked as an accident on my score card and it failed the entire test.

I thought I was going to be super duper upset. What a stupid mistake! Sure, it happens to everyone eventually, but it's a mistake I would never have made outside of a test setting. Surprisingly, though, I wasn't all that mad at myself. Frustrated, yes. I have to take the test all over again and I just want this over and done. But once I got my initial anger out of the way, I was able to look at the positive: though it was marked down as an accident, it really wasn't. Nothing got damaged and no one got hurt. As I observed already, everyone does do it eventually, and at least I've now done it and it'll absolutely never ever happen again. Aside from that ridiculous blunder, I did everything else perfectly. My instructor was super nice and not bitchy or rude or mean; she saw the moment I knew the mistake I made - and that it wasn't inherent reckless driving - and did her best to assure me that it happens; I'd do better next time. And you know what? There's always bumps in the road - literally and figuratively. The only thing I can do is move on and try, try again. My next attempt is this coming Friday, and I will ace it this time.

I talked the whole thing out with supportive friends and my parents (who thought it was hilarious), and then I picked myself up (with a little help from Maroon 5 and Train), and turned my energy to other things - like tackling my closet, which had turned into Mordor over the course of the last month. The mistake was stupid, but it was easy to make, and it's done and over with, and I have a second chance Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment